I’m happy to announce my first commercial theme called Kultalusikka. It’s a finnish word and it means “Golden spoon”. It’s also song from Kotiteollisuus. I use this theme in this site so it can’t be that bad. Here is more info about theme and the same info is in readme.html file.
What, are you convinced already?
This theme is made for selling digital downloads using Easy Digital Downloads plugin. But hey, you can use it for whatever you want. It also supports bbPress and Gravity Forms plugins. For both it means integrated theme design and CSS. But with bbPress I went a little bit further and modified template files so that forums are more responsive and well, better looking at least in my opinion.
- Per-post layouts which means that you can choose one or two column layout. Content on the left or right.
- Post setting that allows you to add a custom stylesheet for individual posts.
- A smart breadcrumb system.
- Built-in pagination.
- Post thumbnails that work with WordPress featured image functionality and provide extra features.
- Multiple and flexible sidebars areas: Primary, Subsidiary, Front Page and Front Page Callout template widgets.
- Dynamic body, post, and comment CSS classes.
- Fully internationalized, so you can translate the theme in any language. You should place your translations files to child theme
- Built-in WordPress menu system. There are two menus in the theme: Primary and Subsidiary.
- Context-aware action and filter hooks.
- Some of the most-used filter hooks are shortcode-ready and have accompanying shortcodes.
- Theme settings page (Appearance »» Theme Settings) that allows you to set theme license key and add footer text.
- Global layout can be changed under Appearance »» Customize.
- Set logo under Appearance »» Header.
- Set background under Appearance »» Background.
- Ability to create custom templates for any post type in multiple ways.
- Highly-configurable widgets that give you full control over their display.
- Widget areas are content-aware, meaning that they only appear if they contain active widgets.
- Support for all Post Formats.
- Theme was designed with Mobile First attitude. It uses so called toggle menu for “mobile” devices, Respond.js for legacy browsers and Fit Vids for videos.
Kultalusikka is a parent theme, so use a child theme for any customizations. When you purchase this theme, you also get blank child theme. If you want do it yourself, here is how to get started.
- Create a theme folder in your
- After that create a
- At the top of your
style.cssfile, add the below information.
/** * Theme Name: Kultalusikka Child * Theme URI: http://link-to-your-site.com * Description: Describe your child theme. * Version: 0.1 * Author: Your Name * Author URI: http://link-to-your-site.com * Tags: Some, Tags * Template: kultalusikka */
There is no reason to import parent theme styles, because they are loaded automatically. Note! If you compress your
style.css and copy your styles to a file called
style.min.css, it will be used automatically.
Using child theme is officially-supported way of modifying themes in WordPress.
Easy Digital Downloads
Theme is designed for selling digital downloads using Easy Digital Downloads.
If you need to run forum, use bbPress and it automatically integrates theme design.
Kultalusikka includes base CSS for Gravity Forms plugin.
Theme Settings (Appearance »» Theme Settings)
Set License key (you’ll get it after purchase) and you’ll get automatic updates from dashboard. First insert License key, then Update settings. After that you can click Activate License button. You can always Deactivate the license key as well.
Set logo under Appearance »» Header. Suggested logo size is 300 x 79 (in pixels). Image size is flexible so you can try different image size. Theme is using Header images only for logo, not header images. Of course Blog name will be displayed if there is no logo set.
Set background under Appearance »» Background.
Change default layout
Kultalusikka theme has two column layout by default, content on the left and sidebar on the right. You can change this default layout under Appearance »» Customize. You can overwrite this in post
editor by choosing layout for that certain post:
- One Column
- Two Columns, Left (theme default)
- Two Columns, Right
You can change Footer text in Footer Settings metabox.
You can also customize theme in live preview using WordPress customize. Check it out under Appearance »» Customize. It’s pretty cool.
There are couple of page templates in this theme. They are located in
page-templates folder. If you need to overwrite page templates in a child theme, create subfolder
page-templates in child theme and copy certain page template in that folder and start modifying.
- Account Page (account-page.php): it will show login form if user is not logged in. For logged in user you can show whatever you want in page content.
- Front Page (front-page.php): This is for showing your latest downloads. There is also Front page widget area for this page template.
You can select a page template from the “Template” section of the “Attributes” meta box when writing or editing a page.
If you want to use Front Page template as a front page for your site instead of the standard blog post view, follow these instructions.
Creating the front page
- First create a new page. You can name it anything. For example ‘Home’ or ‘Downloads’.
- When creating this page, select “Front Page” from the “Template” drop-down inside of the “Attributes” meta box.
- Click the “Publish” button.
Change site front page
- Go to the “Settings »» Reading” screen in the admin to adjust the page shown on the front of the site.
- Locate the section labeled “Front page displays”.
- Select “A static page”.
- In the “Front Page” drop-down, select the page you created earlier that has the “Front Page” template.
- Click the “Save Changes” button.
Flexible subsidiary and front page widgets
You can use 1, 2, 3 or 4 widgets in subsidiary and front page widgets areas and the layout is still gonna look nice. The original idea having flexible and responsive widget areas is from Sukelius Theme.
Note! Front Page Callout widget area is meant to have only one Text widget.
Support for the Kultalusikka theme is not offered on the WordPress support forums. There is a site called Foxnet Themes where support is offered for this theme.
- League Gothic font, which is licensed under OFL.
- FitVids, which is licensed under WTFPL.
- Respond.js, which is licensed under MIT.
- html5shiv, which is licensed under GPLv2 license.